Music in the Western: Notes From the Frontier (Routledge Music and Screen Media)
- 1177 downloads at 24 mb/s
- 1992 downloads at 25 mb/s
Music in the Western: Notes from the Frontier presents essays from both film studies scholars and musicologists on core issues in western film scores: their history, their generic conventions, their operation as part of a narrative system, their functioning within individual filmic texts and their ideological import, especially in terms of the western’s construction of gender, sexuality, race and ethnicity. The Hollywood western is marked as uniquely American by its geographic setting, prototypical male protagonist and core American values. Music in the Western examines these conventions and the scores that have shaped them. But the western also had a resounding international impact, from Europe to Asia, and this volume distinguishes itself by its careful consideration of music in non-Hollywood westerns, such as Ravenous and The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly and in the “easterns” which influenced them, such as Yojimbo. Other films discussed include Wagon Master, High Noon, Calamity Jane, The Big Country, The Unforgiven, Dead Man, Wild Bill, There Will Be Blood and No Country for Old Men.
Ross CareCorey K. CreekmurYuna de LannoyK. J. DonnellyCaryl FlinnClaudia GorbmanKathryn KalinakCharles LeinbergerMatthew McDonaldPeter StanfieldMariana WhitmerBen Winters
The Routledge Music and Screen Media Series offers edited collections of original essays on music in particular genres of cinema, television, video games and new media. These edited essay collections are written for an interdisciplinary audience of students and scholars of music and film and media studies.
- Music U.S.A.: America's Country & Western Tradition
- Black Talk: How the Music of Black America Created a Radical Alternative to the Values of Western Literary Tradition.
- History of Music in Western Culture, Volume 2 (3rd Edition)
- A History of Western Music
- Oxford History of Western Music: 5-vol. set (The Oxford History of Western Music)
- Anthology for Music in the Baroque (Western Music in Context: A Norton History)
- Musical Instruments: History, Technology and Performance of Instruments of Western Music
- Border Bandits: Hollywood on the Southern Frontier (Film and Media Studies: Border Studies, Latin American Studies, Chicano/A Studies)
- Anthology of Scores To History of Music in Western Culture, Volume 1: Antiquity Through the Baroque Era (v. 1)
- Music in the History of the Western Church: With an Introduction on Religious Music Among Primitive and Ancient Peoples